Anxiously awaiting these SCOTUS arguments…
Seems like you’re having an issue understanding this; here are a few points to consider:
- For the record, I don’t know if it the word ‘nigger’ has been accepted as a colloquialism. Nigger is still widely viewed as a racial epithet and a word heavily rooted in the dark trenches of our history. You could very well be talking about ‘nigga’ and while I don’t want to nitpick over spelling, correct spelling is also the difference between simple, yet vastly different words like ‘your’ and ‘you’re.’ You gotta be precise here.
- With that out of the way, it’s important to also note that there are many people that feel the same way about the word faggot. It’s a vile word and there are many people that are still plagued by that word because despite what you seem to think, the history and roots of that word have gone nowhere in today’s society.
- Only in your world does faggot mean: coward, liar, and backstabber, and even there, the implications put forth by your own definition are just as negative. The end that you are trying to reach here doesn’t even match up with your means by you are attempting to achieve it.
- Call me crazy, but I’m sure the way reclamation works, especially as they pertain to pejoratives and slurs, is that the group of people oppressed by that word get the right to reclaim it. The reason that black people as a whole have been able to turn nigger into its colloquial form ‘nigga’ is because black people as a whole were oppressed and affected by that word. In a similar vein, the only people who have the right to reclaim the word faggot are the gay men and queer men that the slur is directed to. I’m pretty sure that it has also allowed you the right to use the word ‘bitch’ in your lyrics and it not reduce you to being a female dog. I am sure that you mean well here, but it’s not the way to go. YOU singlehandedly cannot give a word, a word that hasn’t been used to oppress or erase your identity and being, meaning because you want access to it.
- I am sure that your rampage against Perez Hilton is well-intentioned, but let’s recenter this. Girl, nobody likes Perez Hilton; and even with that in the air, calling him a faggot is not only irresponsible but also tactless and misses the entire point of why we hate him. We don’t hate him because he is, by your measure, a faggot; we hate him because he is a messy wolf faced individual that comes for people’s neck, tries his hardest to make controversy out of nothing, and cries wolf when people rightfully come for his throat. Calling him a faggot is reductive and it is ultimately ineffective. You’re a rapper; find a better way to get your point across.In conclusion, faggot is not your word to reclaim. I would imagine that as someone who is reportedly bisexual, and most definitely black, you’d have a solid grip on how this works. It’s okay; we all have to learn somewhere. Also, as a celebrity, I think it would help you to be a little more tactful and responsible with your word choice, especially since as a rapper you have certainly demonstrated to have a way with words. Having the freedom of speech doesn’t mean that you are free from consequence. I am sure you have a fair, if not strong, gay fan base so it might be wise to be a little respectful of those that are backing you. I know you probably mean well and all, but I just want you think logically about this and make some better choices. You obviously have the final say in whatever you do, I just hope this perspective helps you out.
I don’t hate Perez Hilton, but I appreciate this well-developed, well-thought-out explanation. (cc: @azealiabanks)
Obama Will Include Same-Sex Couples In Immigration Plan. Same-sex couples will be a part of the proposal for addressing immigration reform that President Obama is scheduled to unveil Tuesday in Las Vegas, BuzzFeed has confirmed with multiple sources familiar with the White House plan.
BIG FUCKING DEAL.